Friday, February 04, 2011

Valentine Pail


I am a card angel in Chemo Angels and have been for over 3 years. Every week (or more) I send a card with a note to my assigned patient who has cancer. You go into this with a happy heart and expect nothing in return - your return is that you know you have put a smile on someones face. I got a new assignment in December (after my precious little 8 year old passed away), and I asked for an adult as I just didn't think I was ready to open my heart to another little one yet. I got a 55 year lady with breast cancer, so for Valentines Day I had a clear pail that I filled with pink and red goodies including valentine socks, little red teddybear angel, red tic-tacs, red chewing gum, pink emery board, pink and red nail polish, red notebook, and of course CHOCOLATE. I decorated the lid and the outside of the tin with Valentine images and sent it to her this past weekend. I hope this brings a smile to her face during this difficult time for her.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Very, cute! I love your devotion! It's so nice that you are sending cards to bring others smiles. Keep up the good work!

Patti J said...

Very nice gift, dear friend!!!! Your lady will be so tickled when she gets it. You really are an angel - you are so thoughtful and kind to others! Have a great weekend - guess I'll grow way older up here on my hillside! Don't forsee the tank makin' any trips down within at least the next 7-8 days! Three more snows on their way....ugh!

AmethystCat said...

Shirley, You are truly an angel! I love that you open your heart and share your wonderful creativity with those that are dealing with cancer. What an inspiration! I'm sure your gift touched her heart (it's fabulous - super idea and super cute!) and best wishes on your new friend's battle. hugs!

Teresa Jenkins said...

So pretty, you are a wonderful person!