Monday, April 19, 2021

POTW - Recycled CD disc

 This is my week over at The House that Stamps Built and I decided to recycle -  yes recycle a CD disc.  How many of us have "old" CD discs laying around the office or craft room, or in a box.  Crafters seem to hang on to just about everything. So lets get started:


 I used a never before used stamp I had in my Repeat Impressions collection called DiviDivi Tree 2409-M and 8606-E Happy Birthday  I used Memento black ink to stamp my Diva-Diva Tree and Staz-On black ink for the sentiment.  I already had a nice piece of a CD as I had been playing with this technique before I did myPOTW.


I die cut the CD with just a standard die using my Big Shot, it did not cut all the way through so I used my heat gun to soften the cd, then used an OLD pair of scissors to cut the image out.    I also die cut my main image using same set of dies only a bigger die.  I stamped the leaves of the tree on a muted green pattern DP and fussy cut so I could pop it up on the finished card.  



I used a sanding block to smooth out the rough edges so there would be no chance of injury to the recipient.  You can also sand the entire back of the cut cd and sand off the coating and have a clear embellishment.  I stamped the sentiment using Staz-On black ink.


 And here is my competed card:


I applied the embellishment with sticky tape.  I like the rainbow effect of the sentiment on the CD.

Give this a try and lets see what you do with this technique. 

6 comments:

Tammy said...

What a gorgeous tree and beautiful sentiment, great recycling tutorial! Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Tammy x

Donna said...

I have never seen this, like that beautiful rainbow effect!

loz said...

Fantastic card and great use of an old CD Shirley..Loz

Patti J said...

Very nice! Would never have thought to try this...until now! Great card! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Cheryl W said...

I had no idea you could die-cut CDs! Interesting technique. I think CDs might be fun to use for tags. I bet my heavy duty hole punch could even handle making the hole.

Diane said...

Very interesting idea! Love the rainbow effect of the CD.