Sunday, May 16, 2010

Masculine Card Blog Hop



We are having a masculine card hop over at Paper Wings so why not join us in the fun. For my contribution I chose 2 cards. For the first I chose a new set in our Serendipity Spring supplement called Cowboy Boots. Originally I didn't think I wanted this set until my friend Suzanne sent me some stamped images and I had so much fun with coloring and creating I knew I had to have the set for myself. The boot was perfect for an old technique called faux leather where you use liquid applique (I used brown) and brayered it on my cardstock. You have to wash your brayer immediately as it can ruin your roller if you leave it set. I heat set and then let dry overnight. I stamped the boot and cut out. All I colored was the design with a chocolate Atyou Spica glitter pen (love them). I used Hemmingway DP on my rust CS and it matched perfect. I ran a brown piece of CS using a cuttlebug embossing folder and it turned out sort of like snakeskin. I poped the boot and saying up on my ovals cut with the oval nesties. And IRL it feels like real leather.
My second card is a quick one using the gray sparkle cs we used to carry and downloaded the black prints from TAC. I used Just Because and Thinking of You for my image and sayings. I also used an EK Success punch and bordered the top half of the front of the card. We did this is a class I took at our LSS a few months ago and I really like the effect. Now hop on over and see what the rest of the angels have done.
Rita W.
Heidi
Julie
Carol
Teresa
Laurie

15 comments:

Diana said...

Lovely cards!!!

Patti J said...

These are both wonderful! I love the way the boot looks on your faux leather! Can't believe how much it really feels like leather! Great cards, dear friend! What a fun hop...masculine cards are so hard to make! You rocked them!

Laurie Unger said...

Nicely done! Love the faux leather on the cowboy boot! very creative!

Teresa Jenkins said...

Great cards! Thanks for sharing the faux leather technique... it really looks like it. Great use of the TAC download paper too!

Anonymous said...

The boot is terrific. Thanks for explaining the technique. It really does look like leather! And that car is just perfect for a guy card.

Christine Pennington said...

Great cards

Kelly said...

great cards! I especially like the car card a lot!
-Kelly R.

Unknown said...

Love the boot card! Looks quite leathery here. And the car is wonderful!

Julie Robinson said...

I love both cards. But.... I have to say, that BOOT set is growing on me HUGE! I love the faux leather look!

awesome!

Heidi Hihn said...

Wow, wonderful cards! Love the papers and techniques you uses!

Kim said...

Wow I Luv both of these Shirley!I'm going to have to try that faux leather sometime that boot image is perfect for that tech.

Angela K said...

Just wonderful!!TFS

Alley said...

I love the simplicity of these especially the black and white one

Bridgett Owens said...

Wonderful cards! My dad and brother love their cowboy boots so of course my son (age 2) loves to wear his, too! The leather technique is one I would like to try! The car card is really neat. I like the black and white color scheme and the simplicity of the design. Great job on the masculine cards. I sometimes struggle with design ideas for these cards but you have truly inspired me!

AmethystCat said...

great cards, Shirley!!! really like them both and the boot looks sooo good!