Wednesday, January 01, 2020

January 1, 2020 Designer Choice

Wow - my first card posted for 2020.  Where did last year go???  Anyway best wishes for a Happy New Year to everyone visiting.

This month over at The House that Stamps Built our first Wednesday of the month is Designer Choice - and this month it was me.  My challengewas to use a tamp that reminded you of your childhood, or brought back childhood memories.

My mother made all of my clothes as well as hers - and this dress reminds me of a dress she made me for a piano recital when I was 10.  In fact my dress was almost the same print,  I used images:
     9307-L Dress Form
     9314-E So Special
      9318-B Spool of Thread 

I stamped the spool of thread in different colors around the frame.  I then paper pieced the dress, stamped just the words So Special from the sentiment So Special and then added some embellishments. The scissor die is new - (isn't it cute) so needed buttons and some thread. 


I remember having to try on the dress several times before it was done - I hated the pins sticking me.  Then I had to stand up straight and still while she pined up the hem. Was always proud of my "wardrobe" my mom made for me.


Now it is your turn to make a card or project using the challenge of Designer Choice So many possibilities on this challenge.  You have a full month to enter our challenge.  You do not have to use Repeat Impressions stamps you will have two chances to win a $25 gift certificate towards stamps. Now it is your turn to make a card using the challenge of  Designer Choice -  and  as you can see there are a lot of possibilities for this challenge.  You have a full month to enter our challenge to win.  You do not have to use Repeat Impressions stamps but if you do you will be entered twice for the drawing of a $25 gift certificate to Repeat Impressions. 

If you look on my right side bar I also have a discounted coupon for you to use when you go shopping at Repeat Impressions.
Now why not take a look at our DT Rock Stars for inspiration and to get you started. 
 Joy   Donna   Heather   Laurie    Esther  and Patti.

8 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

This was such a fun challenge, Shirley! I love the pretty sewing themed card you made, and the memories of your mom. My mom didn't sew all our clothes, but she did make some. I have her "sewing chair" in my room now and it brings back many happy memories!

Donna said...

Such a fun DCC Shirley! Your card is stunning, like the dress and how it is framed, the scissors look real. Like the memory of your mom and her sewing your clothes!

Patti J said...

This was a fun challenge, and very unique! Brought back old memories for me, and I can't wait to read everyone else's memories! Your card is perfect, dear friend! Thanks for sharing!

Laurie Unger said...

What a great memory. My mom sewed a lot too. This was a really fun challenge.

loz said...

Fabulous card Shirley. My mother was never a dressmaker so I always had to wear my older sisters hand me downs..As she is 6 yrs older than me it was very embarrassing...Loz

Cheryl W said...

Love your card. That scissor die-cut looks amazingly real! My mom sewed a lot, too, and taught me to sew on her old Singer sewing machine when I was 10. I continued her tradition and sewed lots of clothes for my own kids and then the grandkids.

*Vicki* said...

Your card is just gorgeous Shirley and what a really cool idea for the challenge! I love that your print was the same as your dress when you were 10! :) My mom actually made me dresses for school in my first 2 years....she stopped after that, but I had some really nice ones for sure! Thanks for the story and inspiration! HUGS

Heather said...

I have to say, this challenge was a bit challenging for me! This is a beautiful card with some great memories! My mom used to sew all my dresses, too. And yes, the pins while trying on and having to stand straight for the hemming are things I remember all too well. : )